Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Jonas Meekas

Natalie did an excellent job talking about Jonas Meekas. I liked learning that once he arrived in New York he was "handed" a camera and from there he began experimenting with a Bolex 16mm. My mom was a photographer so from a young age I was handed a camera and I got to learn different ways of shooting things I liked so it was interesting to see how he experimented. I loved the idea that his films were "snapshots" of life. It was a great perspective to see and looking back I can see that ideal in some of my own work. Whether that be photography, studio art, or film. The film clips really allowed us to see what kind of things he was was really about. For example how used a handheld camera and used mellow colors. For me post editing is something to do, so when she said that he did his editing on the camera I was a little taken back. However, every artist has their own methods. What surprised me the most was probably the fact that Meekas influenced Andy Warhol. As a long time art student I mostly studied his pop art paintings. So it was a different side of him that I was exposed to do that I had not been exposed to otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment